Read More »
When you buy commercial dog shampoo, it can be loaded with artificial colors, fragrances, and chemicals. It's easy to make a natural shampoo for your pet that gives him a shiny, soft coat. If your dog has sensitive skin, homemade shampoo will not irritate his skin and may help him heal.
Do not use shampoo made for humans on your dog because dogs require a different pH than do people. Also, do not use your pooch's shampoo on your cat. Since cats groom themselves, they can ingest essential oils that did not rinse completely.
Natural Shampoo Recipe
This recipe is great for your dog's regular baths. It will leave him with soft, shiny fur. The vinegar lowers the pH to a safe level for your pet. Glycerin is a humactant, so it draws moisture from the air to your dog's skin to keep it moisturized.
- Mix all ingredients well.
- Wash dog as you normally would. Avoid eyes and inside the ears.
- Rinse thoroughly with warm water.
Dry Skin Recipe
If your dog has dry skin, use this homemade dog shampoo to soothe and heal his skin.
- Use food processor to grind oatmeal into a powder.
- Heat water in medium saucepan until boiling.
- Stir in oatmeal powder until it thickens. Let mixture cool completely.
- Fill and old sock with the oatmeal mixture. Use this to bathe the dog like you would a washcloth, making sure the oatmeal gets to the dog's skin.
- Let sit on the dog for 5 minutes before rinsing.
Homemade Flea Shampoo
The essential oils in this dog shampoo recipe naturally repel fleas. Use this recipe when your dog is likely to encounter fleas, or if you notice fleas on him or in the house.
- Place water in a large bowl.
- Add essential oils and vinegar and mix well.
- Use to bathe your dog at the first sign of fleas or to prevent fleas.