So I experimented last year and labeled each jar carefully. This is the recipe from our favorite batch. It's not super cinnamony or sweet, but it has just enough sweetness and cinnamon to give it a great flavor. We don't even like canned pears, and we eat a quart of these with dinner. I just serve them as a side dish when I am in a hurry or we need something quick and yummy with dinner.
Links in this post may be affiliate links, which means that I earn a small commission from sales.
Cinnamon Red Hot Canned Pears Recipe
What You Need:
- Combine sugar and water and bring to a boil on the stove. When it boils, stir it and reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, wash, peel, core, and cut pears. Pack in to 7 hot sterilized quart jars.
- Pour warm syrup over pears, leaving 1/2" head space. Remove air bubbles and wipe rims.
- Add 10-12 Red Hot candies to each quart jar. Use half as much for a pint.
- Cap with warm lids and a ring.
- Process for 20 minutes in a boiling water bath.
This is a light sugar syrup because I'm trying to limit sugar consumption. If you want a heavier syrup, you can substitute your own syrup recipe and add the candies as directed.
These taste best if they can sit on the shelf for at least a month before you try them Ours reached their full flavor potential at about 3 months. These are so pretty that they make me happy just seeing them on the shelf!
Have you ever canned pears?